Monday, July 25, 2011

Family Adventure

I mentioned that we were going to New Mexico to visit my grandparents this past weekend. It was a lot of fun and it was good to just hang out with my family. This weekend we were supporters of the National Parks. We went to 3 different ones in New Mexico.


We left home a little late and ended up not getting there until after 10. On the way there my brother and I decided New Mexico should be called the shrubbery state, because they are EVERYWHERE. We had to stop in Roswell to take a pictures with some aliens lo.

We woke up early and went to White Sands National Monument. It is a place where sand dunes have formed. They are huge. It is a dessert in the middle of the dessert. We did the natural thing and slid down them. :-) My mom, brother, and I took turns sliding down the dunes in the sled we bought in the gift shop. It was a lot of fun but those dunes are hard to walk up.

After that we went to Cloudcroft, a town in the mountains. We shopped, then went to one of my new favorite places, The Lodge. It is an old hotel that was originally built by railroad executives as a summer retreat. It is a gorgeous old building with beautiful grounds and golf course. I would love to spend a night there sometime.
The Lodge

Saturday, we went to Captain. The original location of Smoky the Bear. Did you know he was an actual bear? During a forest fire, firefighters found him badly burned and clinging to a tree. The park ranger took him and nursed him back to health. It was decided that he would be the living symbol of fire prevention and he was moved to the National Zoo in D.C.. Pretty cool!!

Smoky

After that we went to Lincoln, or otherwise known as the most dangerous street in America. It was known for its violence and outlaw hideout during the settling of the West. The whole town it seems like is a museum.

It was fun to get away for a weekend and see my family. I know that starting my new job this next week, will leave limited time for my family. I will upload some pictures sometime in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment